Face from the cloisonné factory




















The owner of the Chinese dog I nicknamed 'the little emperor', guarding the cloisonné factory just outside Beijing. It was good to get away from the grey faces of the Forbidden City and also to use colours in the clothes that complimented the skin tones! I used the usual combination of colours in the skin- Light Yellow Ochre and Venetian Red for the base layers - but also a lot of Polychromos Burnt Ochre in this man's skin to give it a warmer glow. Then over that I tried to show how weathered and leathery his skin was. although I have to say this is really only 90% finished. Last week was so stressful (mentioned on my other blog) that I really just hadn't the energy to finish it properly. The wrinkles on the forehead need a little softening, the chin made slightly less angular, the neck more shading and the jacket less sketchy. But overall I like it as it looks close to a sort of drawing style I like and not too photo realistic. It's probably the first drawing I've done where I've actually enjoyed doing the wrinkles too!

Comments

Serena Lewis said…
I've had a fair bit of catching up to do today on both your blogs but it was so worth it. I have missed visiting more regularly but I seem to be snowed under with busy-ness lately. As always, I am in awe of your beautiful drawings, Felicity....I love the soft, yet so detailed, look to your work. You truly are amazing!
Cathy Gatland said…
These faces you draw are outstanding Felicity - such expression and sensitive modelling.
Thanks for your congrats too - I'm thrilled!
Margaret Ann said…
You have such a sensitve touch with your work. This is striking in both detail and emotion...Beautiful! :)
Teresa said…
Another great face! Love the warm skin tones on this one.
Edward Burton said…
Another outstanding portrait, Felicity. Thank you for stopping by and adding me to your list of blogs you follow.
Teresa said…
Hi Felicity,

When you have a few minutes, please pop over to my blog... there's an Art Blog Award for you there!
You do wonderful work, and I am inspired by it! Would you please stop by my blog, I have something listed there for you. :-)
Dave King said…
My first visit to your blog, but these aren't sketches: they are superb portraits.

Popular Posts