Oil painting















I took up oil painting in November 2017. I know no-one reads blogs these days but I realised a little while ago that I needed somewhere to record the things I've learned along the way, as I did with my colour pencil drawings. It was handy to look back and see which colours I had used on a particular drawing. Having tried and failed to remember a colour mix recently I thought now is a good time to pick up the habit again.

The painting of Paul, above, is my first 'proper' portrait with oils. It started with a layer of Burnt Sienna mixed with turps and spread thinly. The general face shape was pulled out of the still wet layer with a rag and then a block of cool colours laid down.















Over the course a few weeks I worked on this very much guided by my excellent teacher. It was quite an eye opener learning about colour vibration as well as all the new techniques I needed to learn in order to handle oils. At first I really struggled with the brushes and supports. I've discovered I don't like hog brushes at all and just lately, apart from that first thin layer, I don't use turps either.

I had a few hit and misses along the way, mainly because I was working in larger sizes than I'm comfortable with. Paul is 12"x16" and that felt pretty large to me.














This fox skull was the next painting I was happy with, going smaller at 7"x 9 1/2". My teacher, James Waller, really helped me to see the colours in what looked to me like a washed out white skull. The background was fun to work on too, picking out warm and cool colours there with natural light coming in from a window on the left. Keeping things quite loose and then adding the finest details right at the end really worked for this one. I definitely felt more comfortable after experimenting with a few brushes and finding some I liked. It wasn't until I heard about Rosemary & Co brushes that I found the ones I really loved. I will post a photo of those in another blog post.

Comments

Welcome back to blog land! As always, I find your explanations of process fascinating, particularly because of this thing with oils of starting by laying down colors that to my mind have nothing to do with the subject matter and final look. But it obviously works! And this class has obviously been good for you. :-)
Felicity Grace said…
Thanks Sheila! I find that a bit odd too and I haven't done it for subsequent portraits. I prefer the warmer tones of the burnt sienna to come through. I'm constantly looking at videos of other artists' process and how they do it without all those layers. Still finding my way!
Yes, the class is fantastic - so lucky to find an artist of such quality here!

Popular Posts