Rhinos and random ramblings
















 A very quick sketch from the TV in my little 'random sketches' Green & Stone sketchbook. (I have to give it that name to stop me from worrying about what to put in it!) I wasn't quite sure what was going on with the nostrils and what I normally do is Google some images to get a better understanding of the things I draw. There is a surprising thing that happens when you draw something you've seen a thousand times and think you know - you really haven't seen it until you draw it. I had no that idea rhinos faces are as unique and varied as our own.

Rhinos are such odd looking creatures, you feel you are looking at a very primitive design, like a present day dinosaur. Googling images of rhinos is a very sobering thing though. It's tragic to see these lovely animals suffering for our ignorance.

Since I closed my other blog where I kept my quicker sketches (you would think I'd keep my sketches on the blog with sketches in the title...) I thought I'd post a few of the pages from this sketchbook here. These are in a little sketchbook about 6"x6" and depending on the side, some surfaces are smooth and some rough. It annoys me slightly as I don't like paper that is too rough but I've found that I've come to like it for certain things - like the rhino above where the surface actually helped create the texture of the skin.


First page, I started a quick sketch of a mackerel and then realised it would look good as a repeating pattern. Even though it didn't work as I hadn't placed the first one well, it's something I want to play with again. 




















Ziggy, my old cat.

Comfy platforms!






My migraine tablets. Since I drew these, I'm now almost free of the dreaded things since I've suffered from severe migraines since I was 14. One of the benefits of getting older!

A couple of old brooches my mother had in a jewelry box. I never saw her wearing them and by the time I asked her she couldn't remember anything about them. They're very tiny and so detailed.


Two faces from magazines that I put together. On the rough side of the page but it helped with the texture.


I loved the way the feathers looked like a spiral on this turkey.


Sketching faces from TV on the day of Margaret Thatcher's funeral. Loved the profile of the man in the crowd and loved drawing the face of Lady Mary Russell on the right. Some drawings are like books you don't want to end - loved the soft texture of her skin.


More drawings from the TV on various days - TV reviewers and a face in the crowd again at the top. Oscar Pistorius, middle right, and journalists queueing outside the courtroom. Hugh Dennis below, left.



A loon - a lovely long elegant face. It's eyes are red.





Sheep from a magazine. Drawing this I realised I don't know my sheep from my goats because often they look very similar! The one below is definitely a goat...I think.



Comments

Giddings Art said…
Your drawings are beautiful!
Lisa Ridolfi said…
Felicity, your drawings are exquisite. Thanks so much for posting again!
Felicity Grace said…
Thanks so much, Lisa! Lovely to hear from you again.
I've just run across a photo of a mother/baby rhino combo showing their heads from slightly different angles. Not that your sketch doesn't also tell the tale, but this photo reinforced that there really is NOTHING right about a rhino from the neck up, not even the ears! Truly a throwback to another time and place.

This is a nice collection of sketches you've shared with us. As always, it shows me I need more practice, so is a lovely gentle nudge.
Lois said…
Your sketches are very nice
Felicity Grace said…
Thanks Lois.

Thanks Sheila - I agree, there is something quite odd about that face!

Popular Posts