Thursday, March 03, 2011

New shoes
















It's been a while since I drew any of my shoes so I thought it was time they were updated. Styles have changed quite a bit since my last drawing! I loved platforms the fist time round so I'm really pleased to see they are back with a vengence! I like this years big platform/lower heel too so you don't have to break your back trying to walk in them.

Taupe is an interesting colour to try and represent in paint or pencil. I had to mix some yellow, brown and a smidge of red until I got something close. Both of these are painted first and finished with coloured pencil. The black shoe is a mix of Burnt Sienna and French Ultramarine, which gives an interesting granulated effect. I used a black Polychromos pencil over that. The paint gave it a chalky surface which felt nice to draw on and really gripped the waxy pencil. The suede areas of the sandal are painted and then lightly shaded with a Taupe Derwent Artists pencil. The rope effect is drawn with a Warm Slate Grey Lyra Rembrandt pencil with a touch of the taupe pencil. On Saunders Waterford HP paper.

9 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I want those black shoes - they are very cool. As for the return to the platform, I'm not as thrilled as you. I did my share of teetering back when I had stronger ankles! I did have one really cool pair that I wore a lot at work, which fortunately was mostly a sit-down job. If I still had them, I might give it a go.

The Idaho Beauty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrana said...

Brilliant. And thank you for adding details of what you used and how, it's incredibly helpful to visualize. Wouldn't mind a dash of your talent along with that too ...!

Cathy Gatland said...

Beautifully illustrated shoes Felicity - such texture and subtleties of colour. I loved them first time round too but can't see me risking those dizzy heights now!

Bridget Hunter said...

These are wonderful studies - you've obviously enjoyed using the mixed media.

Katherine Tyrrell said...

Really nice Felicity. Objects on a white background seem to be your forte!

SYLVIANE said...

Absolutely wonderful!

Desiree said...

Just beautiful, I want the shoes too! You are so talented, perfectly representing all the details.

Liz Steel said...

wow! wonderful Felicity! I do like shoes too but certainly can't wear the big heels. As for platforms, I know, I have never had a pair.