Zoe Wanamaker



















Drawn from a BBC programme called Who Do You Think You Are, tracing celebrities family histories. It's a very interesting progamme but equally interesting this week were the lovely glasses and some of the clothes Zoe was wearing! (I'm wondering where she got a chocolate brown suede jacket - I've been looking for something just like it for years!) I knew I had to draw those black and white spotted glasses and that red cardi though!

Of course, to do colour I need to press pause but it's still not that easy - I have to have a whole tin of pencils in front of me so I have everything to hand. Once I got the pencil sketch done though, it was surprisingly quick - by my standards of course! There is something about the name of the pencils called Light and Medium Flesh (by Lyra) that puts me off using them as if it's 'painting by numbers' but Light Flesh worked perfectly here for the skin and I just added some red and purple on the left side for warm and shadow. The skin colour on the hands were very lightly indicated with quick touches of the same colours and a light touch of black in the shadows. Her hair was amazingly quick with White, Ivory, Yellow Ochre (Polychromos) for the light areas first and simply adding shading around those lines with a warm brown. I find it much easier to do the light areas in the hair first rather than having to leave them and work around them as I do with graphite. The lines look much more natural and flowing this way too.

The paper is by Paperchase and although it's the colour of brown wrapping paper, this particular shade is very hard to find in sketchbooks. This was done in the 6"x8" version but I'd like to see a larger version and for them to get rid of the oversized spirals that eats up space and makes it hard to scan.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That color IS hard to find in a good sketch book. It's on my wish list now!
Felicity Grace said…
Elizabeth, it took years for me to find this colour but you should be able to get it in Paperchase. I happened upon it in a branch in London. It's a bit thin but OK for pencils.
Grahame Butler said…
Hi Felicity, you blow me away with the way you can get a likeness so true from the TV, great work as always, thanks for your comments on my blog. Grahame
Wilfred said…
This is a fantastic drawing and I agree, the glasses would have pulled me into drawing her as well.
Robyn Sinclair said…
I have no idea how you can achieve such great portrait sketches from television, Felicity. This is beautiful.
Rick said…
Very nice. You drew that while watching her on television?

I've always enjoyed it when I surfed by your blog. You are talented.
suzanne cabrera said…
Beautiful! I love the way you let things fade out. You have an incredible ability to provide just the right amount of detail.
Felicity Grace said…
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

Drawn on pause, I have to stress - nowhere near being able to sketch AND colour without it! But it's a great way to capture faces you wouldn't normally be able to otherwise.

Thanks Suzanne! I always worry I've overdone it, so that means a lot!
Teresa said…
I really like the warmth in this piece. All of the colors work so well together and somehow you manage to get detail while keeping it soft (how do you do that? :-)
Jeanette Jobson said…
The colours work so well in this. Its soft and bold at the same time.

I've been tempted to work from the tv screen at times, but I'd probably burn out pause it would take me so long! :)

Popular Posts