January postcard













January was bitterly cold in Geneva, with some record low temperatures, so there was no way I was going to go out walking and collect things for the postcard! I don't think I have ever felt so cold and just going out to get food when I couldn't put it off any longer was a bit of an ordeal! So for this card, sent to Cathy Gatland in South Africa, I raided my little box of treasures collected on walks from previous months. It's lovely that these oak leaves have retained some their green colour so I felt including the acorn was a nod to the past and the future.

I wish I had something more exciting to show but I'm still suffering with 'artist's block'. After I finished the postcard I decided the best thing to do was to just give the watercolours a complete break. I've been putting together some unfinished quilt tops and was surprised to find I have 4 nearly completed single quilts! I do love the piecing but I lose interest once I've put the tops together and it takes years before I quilt and bind them! Next winter... they will definitely be finished and on the beds by next winter!

Comments

Gosh, I know what you mean about that logjam that can result. There's always this exultation when I finish the top, big sigh of relief - it's done! Oh, no wait. It's not done. Depending on size, that next step of layering and basting and quilting is as big a job as the piecing. But I just have to remind myself how the quilting often transforms the design and I love seeing that texture emerge. Good luck getting your ufo's finished up and on those beds.
Felicity Grace said…
Oh, that big sigh of relief - yes, totally feel the same, Sheila! I'm looking at the tops thinking how lovely it will be to have them finished and how the quilting will make a big difference, but still, it does seem such a chore especially wrestling it into that tiny throat space!

Popular Posts