Jenson Button (2)




















Although I admit doing more than one drawing of the same subject is a bit of an easy option, it is a very interesting exercise - perhaps not for the viewer but certainly the artist! Like the first portrait, this one is done in my square Paperchase book with the unforgiving paper. This time though, the paper didn't just break up, a little chunk came off, right on the tip of his cap, leaving a little trench! I'm tempting fate to keep using it, but part of me enjoys the challenge!

Unlike the last portrait, I gave some new pencils a try -Derwent Artists. And very nice they are too. They have some lovely shades suitable for skin tones and one of them, 'Mahogony' is a really gorgeous warm brick red and just the tiniest bit redder than my favourite Venetian Red. They go on very well but I still used some of the usual Lyras and Luminance Black and White for the lightest and darkest areas.

Comments

Unknown said…
Another lovely one, Felicity! I think his eyes just sparkle in this drawing - well done! (Despite the paper limitations!)
Wilfred said…
I guess the one benefit of being away from my blog posting, and by extension, missing all your updates, is that I get two or three hits of your terrific art that I missed. It's like Christmas morning. Great job, Felicity.
netty said…
Your portraits are wonderful, so soft and full of depth! I love the way you have drawn with the paper you have used, is it a brown card type of paper?
I have a set of derwents but have not used them for portraits yet, looking at your drawings is giving me the urge to have a go!!
It has been a treat to look at your blog :)

Annie
Felicity Grace said…
Thanks all, for such lovely comments, it's really appreciated!
Felicity Grace said…
Hi Annie and welcome! Sorry, I forgot to answer - it's a brown paper sketchbook by Paperchase, probably the equivilent of about 120 gsm, so it's not very heavy, about average. I think it's supposed to be a scrap book though!

Your art is wonderful btw, it's great to find you too!
Carolina said…
Hi Felicity!
It's always a pleasur to visit your blog... great painting...
Best regards,
Carolina
SarahGaunt said…
Your sketches are amazing! They are so detailed and precise!
Jeanette Jobson said…
This and the previous are super portraits. I think the brown paper really enhances the skin tone and makes the features stand out.
Teresa said…
You never fail to amaze me with the quality, detail and realism in your portraits. Please move to the U.S. (the South, specifically) and start teaching Colored Pencil Portraiture! In the meantime, I notice you've mentioned Luminance White a couple of times... do you get better coverage with the Luminance White than the white in other cp brands?
Alex said…
I looked, and looked again, and I couldn't believe my eyes, so I looked again... and I believe my face pulled the same expression that spells "WOW"
:) Your work is amazing like everyone said. I really like your WIP. I am still doing pencil sketches, because I'm brushing up my shading skills before I move into colors. But when I look at your drawings...I said to myself "that's where I want to go!" :)
阿蘇 said…
画得很好咧~~ 感激分享,加油!! ^_^

Popular Posts